Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Online Courses

This week we are creating a LMS course in Moodle. This is my favorite assignment yet! I had some difficulty getting started on the course because I wasn't sure how it would work with Public Speaking, but I did some research online and found a course taught at another college that was a "hybrid" public speaking course. The course was mostly online, but it met on campus 4-5 times when the students delivered their speeches. How cool... the students can learn about the different speeches online and research areas such as verbal and nonverbal communication, listening, stage fright, etc. Students can communicate in discussion forums and chat rooms, so there is still plenty of communication going on, just not face-to-face. I think this course would be excellent for students who have a fear of public speaking, because it takes some of the pressure off. I would LOVE to teach a hybrid course like this! I've been creating my course like that one... it's been fun. I have enjoyed learning a new technology and playing it. I think I am benefiting so much from this online course. I am spending tons more time on it than I would an average face-to-face course. I find myself checking the boards and wiki every time my girls lay down for a nap... I know, I need to get a life, but this course is teaching me so much and I'm anxious to use it! I am looking forward to my online class in the fall (Authoring Systems).

1 comment:

Lori Ramsey said...

I am so glad you found another site to help you, and I love the idea of a hybrid course!