Thursday, June 21, 2007

Instructional Website Woes

Well the assignment for this week was to come up with an idea for an instructional website...and I seem to be struggling to find an idea. This is ironic, because I love to design websites. My problem is that I love to do the visual stuff and could care less about the content...which is not a good thing considering the content is what I need to teach my students :) I just get caught up in the design aspects and spend all of my time there. Anyways...my idea is to create a functional website for my classroom that students and parents can access to find information about assignments and homework and that will host the class blog and wiki. I will also provide links to reputible speech-related websites. I am excited about the website, but I hope it truly meets all the requirements of the assignment.

I think the class is about to get interesting...with the LMS assignment due next week, and we haven't even started on that, yet. I'm hoping to be able to keep up...

3 comments:

Andrew said...

Heather,

I have the same problem. Not that I'm great at design, but I enjoy tweaking the design more than the content. The way I work around this (at least lately) is to transfer the content from one format (typically I start in an outlining program called OmniOutliner . Once I got the structure of the information (hierarchical) I export the file as plain text, which allow me to manipulate it using BBEdit or TextMate, both text editors. These allow me to define html templates and move the text around using powerful find and replace functions. Not that any of this necessarily makes any sense. I guess my point is that I find that breaking up the process of finding, organizing, and structuring the content helps me get to the design stage, at which point I can tinker to my hearts content.

Andrew

Heather Clark said...

I checked out that OmniOutliner and it appears to be only for Mac's? How prejudice toward the majority of the free world who doesn't use Mac... but it looks like a cool program.

Lori Ramsey said...

I am so glad that you are getting into the class...although I know what you mean about getting caught up in the look of a site instead of the content. That is a big problem for students too!